Friday, April 11, 2008

Surrealism


Here is my Surrealism assignment that I pondered about below in a previous post. Surrealism deals with your unconcious, I decided to go in a little different direction. This piece is about what makes me who I am. Symbols:
Trees: The conifer tree represents Washington, the deciduous tree represents Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania tree is starting to blossom, signifying opportunities that I have here.
The Figure: The invisible person is based off of one of my more well known photos. The butterfly shape is a mask. All of this explores the masks we wear and who we really are.
The Dove: (up in the corner) represents peace, faith, the good things of this world
The Box: It has a P on it- like Pandora's Box. It represents all the evils, sickness, etc that we deal with.
The Anvil, Stirrup, Hammer: Those are the names of the bones in your ear (and the tiniest bones in your body). Since I have had hearing problems since the age of 9, I thought it was interesting symbolism.

We had critique and my teacher was a bit harsh in my opinion. I realize that the objects are tiny and may not have been the best placed, but it was certainly better than a lot of the stuff that was there! We'll see what my grade is.
Here is a detail shot:

Here is the photo behind the image- I did a series of these clear back in 2001! All trick photography-no digital enhancement!

2 comments:

Marleen said...

I remember that photo. I love this project. It hits home with surreal. Love the expressions of your talent. Keep it up.

Stefanie said...

I remember when you did this! so cool!