Friday, April 18, 2008

Nativity Set


Here is a pic of my third (out of four) project for my Beginning Casting class (aka Jewelry class). It took a lot of time to sculpt these figures out of wax, cast them and do clean up AND build a habitat for them! I wound up having to re-do the shepherd and a wise man that did not turn out (I think the bronze got blocked in the mold while casting, all I got was half a shepherd! He looked like the wicked witch of the west melting!) so there was even more work than what appears. I also soldered together some sheet metal to create a star.


My mom and I collect Nativity Sets (and I designed a paper-doll style one a few years ago) so I thought it would be great to make one out of bronze while I am in this class...originally I was going to do this on the side but it wound up being one of my projects!


I really love this class and and am sad that it's ending...I really like my teacher and classmates, too. If it was a perfect world I'd be able to take all the Metals classes....if I have room in my schedule later on I'll take Beginning Fabrication, where you learn beginning metal techniques (hammering, rivets, soldering, bezel setting, etc).

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

WOW!!! This amazing!!!!!! You are so talented!!

Aimee said...

This looks wonderful! You amaze me!

Marleen said...

That is amazing. You got talent my friend. I have a few nativity collectables. You should open your own etsy shop. I love the cutouts I've received from you.