Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool

Happy April Fool's Day, everyone. What stupid thing did you do today? Here's my story...I volunteered last week to come in early today and watch the kilns for jewelry class. We're casting today, and your mold has to be in a 5 hour cycle in the kiln before you cast. First, it hardens your mold, second, it burns the wax model out (we're doing the lost wax method), and third, it keeps your mold hot so your metal will stay hot and flow better when you cast. My teacher couldn't watch the kiln til 10 am, so I volunteered to do the 9am to 9pm shift. Now, keep in mind that normally I don't have to be to school til noon on Tuesdays.

So I got up early and raced over here...only to find a note saying that I didn't need to watch the kiln...all the molds fit in the computerized one that is normally used for the other casting class. So I got up early and raced over here for nothing! Which is why I have the time to blog today! I didn't even think to leave my teacher my phone number, nor did I think to call the classroom phone this morning before I left. I guess I'm the April Fool.

I molded part of a tiny nativity set to cast today...I decided to switch gears from the carousel animals. I'm crossing my fingers that things go well later today! I'll let you know how they turn out.

No comments: