Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rejected!

So Last Friday I ran around like crazy to get my entries ready for the Edinboro Student Show. I had to drive back up to Erie (30 miles roundtrip from school) to exchange the original frames I had bought- they were so shallow that it was physically impossible to get a mat in there AND be able to close the back of the frame! Then I raced back to school where I got my frames ready. I had to borrow a hammer from the jewelry fabricating room to hammer in my hanging harware on the back of my three frames, then race to the gallery and turn them in. I didn't know if I'd get in or not, but it was worth a try.

So yesterday I went to the gallery to see if I'd been accepted...and I was a little surprised to see that NONE of my entries made it! I then had to dig through the pile of rejects to find my submissions. I dn't know why I didn't make it. It all really depends on the juror. I couldn't see everything that made it, but I didn't see many photos in that group. At least my stuff was the better in the "garbage" pile...some of what I saw turned in was really terrible!

So, did I guess wrong in making my submissions? Maybe this is a lesson in turning in what I like, and not worrying so much about what others think. Would I have gotten in if I'd submitted stuff I did in photo classes? Was 2001 my glory days? There's many thoughts running thru my head.

I'm pretty used to rejection by now, don't cry for me. But rejection still stings, whether it's a boy who doesn't like you or being rejected as a missionary or being turned down for a job or being turned down for a show. My jewelry teacher, Cappy (that's really her name!) has been doing metalwork for years and still gets turned down. It's just the nature of the beast.

I cna't help but wonder if this will turn out to be like when I submitted images to the big Puyallup Fair in Washington...I turned in photos that had previously won a big award, only to have them rejected by this fair! And then I was so irritated to see what DID make it in their competition...really awful stuff! I couldn't believe what garbage they had let in! I wasn't the only one with that opinion. So we'll see what made it in when the show opens in a couple of days.

I'll figure out my best ones and turn them in to the Erie Art Museum this Friday. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Lizzy! I'm sorry they didn't make it in! Keep trying - you are fabulous!!