Friday, April 11, 2008

My Namesake


Why do I like ladybugs? Why did I name my email and my blog Ladybuglizzy? Well sit right down and I'll tell you a story Sister Gray style. [Insert Brooklyn accent here] Once Upon a Time there was a little girl named Elizabeth. And when she was like, three, she LOVED Strawberry Shortcake. And what did (old school) Strawberry Shortcake always seem to have with her? A ladybug! Elizabeth had a cartoon ladybug on her wall as a kid that came from Strawberry Shortcake. Add to that Elizabeth's love of Sesame Street and with it the Ladybug Picnic cartoon, and a love was born.
Later when Elizabeth was about 15, this love resurfaced. Years later when faced with what to call herself online, only ladybuglizzy would do. Ladybug and Lizzy together are a great aliteration, and an email moniker was born. And years later, a blog.
I now have several hundred (mostly small) ladybug items in my collection, it's quite jazzy. Ladybugs always cheer me up and are quite nostalgic (see above).
Ladybugs follow me around, as a missionary I had many little "friends" on doorsteps and on my side of the car. Here in PA, they congregate in my room and only my room! It's quite funny.
Above is a ladybug I rescued and put back outside the other day.

2 comments:

Parkin Family said...

I'm glad we have found each other's blogs! I knew your family moved to Penn. That is why you didn't get a christmas card or baby announcement. It sounds like you are adjusting well. I can't believe Laura just turned 24! Crazy!!!

Marleen said...

It's odd. Lady bugs just fit you. It is so true.