Friday, April 18, 2008

Big Move



My dad owns enormously huge, heavy items. He's a diesel mechanic. I'm posting this pic in an attempt to show how logistically difficult our move to Pennsylvania was. My dad had to have all kinds of big heavy machinery forklifted onto the moving truck. It then went into storage until this week where my dad had to coordinate the delivery truck from the warehouse and other people who had a forklift to then get it off of the truck and into a large container on our property (the container is like what you see a semi truck haul, we're renting several of these containers til we build a shop. The containers have mostly my dad's stuff in them, but I have stuff buried in them too- I go "container diving" when I have time). I took this photo from my bedroom window, it's not the greatest. But you can see the crates of tools and other machinery that my dad owns.

These items are so heavy that the forklift nearly toppled over...the guys who had the forklift had to jump on the back as a counterbalance so it wouldn't tip over while loaded!

This is just the tip of the iceberg...there was so much other heavy stuff that we moved as well. Everything my dad owns is heavy...shop manuals, books, tools, parts, a 16 ft long I beam, several jet engines, and so much more...then last summer he had the audacity to complain that the 4 boxes of magazines of mine that he shifted around were heavy!!! He has shaft couplings (that weigh 80 lbs apiece!) that my mom and I moved!!! And tons more! The nerve! Gee, I wonder why my back bothers me!

In the photo above, the person on the right in the grey sweatshirt is my Dad. He aquired a lot of this stuff when he was young and could heft it then no problem, now he's an old man with a bad knee!

No comments: