Friday, October 31, 2008

Stuck

It's been trying to snow all week, but we were pleasantly surprised (not!) to find this out of our window Wednesday morning:











Eight inches of snow. That's right, eight inches of snow two days before Halloween. Needless to say, it totally messed with our day. Also compounding things were a lot of big branches and trees down in the road, which also knocked out the power. Dad couldn't get to work (it was icy under the snow and we didn't have snow tires on yet) and I couldn't get to school- and I really don't like missing school.
The roads were a bit better later on, Dad and I made it into Corry and got snow tires on one of the Jeeps. We also had to ferry food down to the mobile after jumpstarting the generator down there.
The worst part was that I had to cancel a fall party that I had planned at my house that afternoon for the young women- we were going to make little flower arrangements in pumpkins and everyone was looking forward to it. I tried to just have it at the church but that didn't work out either. I was really irritated that that didn't work out- it's hard to get the girls to come to anything and they were actually going to come.
It seems odd to worry about Halloween or fall decor now that it's snowed SO much- it's pretty much killed it for me. Colorful trees and faux gravestones look pretty crappy covered in snow.
Since Wednesday, it's warmed up a bit and the snow has melted some. It gets pretty muddy when that happens, yuck. We got power back yesterday morning, I was glad to get a shower.
So, yes, the pictures are pretty, but the snow was pretty irritating. We're told this is going to be a bad winter, I can't wait.

No comments: