Monday, October 27, 2008

Cardboard

Here is my cardboard carousel horse project in the er, flesh. The goal of this sculpture assignment was to take architechtural elements and create a sculpture that was not building-like. I took amusement park pieces to create a carousel horse. It took a LOT of time to make and it turned out HUGE! I made the body too big and from there the other pieces had to be big, too. Maybe I'll make a smaller one. I had to lay down the seat in the Jeep to get it to school! I am pround that it stands on its own. I got pretty nice reviews from my class and teacher during critique. Cardboard and hot glue are way stronger than you might think!


The front:

Body: ticket booth, neck: ferris wheel, head: bench seat on carousel, legs: horse tail, rollercoaster track, log ride and rollercoaster cars, thigh: carousel top framing, tail: wooden roller coaster
Front 3/4 view:

Back view:

Rear 3/4 view:

Detail of ticket booth on back (taken from above)
Detail of rollercoaster tail:
Funnily enough, someone else's sculpture made a fence or "paddock" for my horse!


Now, if I hadn't told you what the sculpture was, would you have recognized what it was? Funny Story: There is this girl in class who is a little dense...I don't know if she pays attention or what during critique. You'll be explaining something in depth and then she'll go and ask about what you just explained as though you had never spoken! It happens all the time during our critiques. So I tried to make it an obvious horse shape and I think I succeeded because everyone who walked into the classroom observed it was a carousel horse (they'd never seen it before critique day) in nanoseconds. During critique, we spent at least 15 minutes talking about my horse, my teacher talked about the ride architecture specifically making a horse, we talked about legs, it's tail, body, etc. We were not vaugue during critique as to what it was. Even if you didn't know what it was before, you should have known by listening to critique.
Then after class she comes up to me and says "You want to know what I see in your piece?" and I was like, uh..sure. She then proceeds to say "If you look at it from this angle, it looks like a horse!" as though she had discovered it was a horse and no one else had! She then asked "Did you see that it was a horse when you were making it?"
I tried real hard not to look too dumbfounded, what do you say? "Uh, yeah, I knew it was a horse." I could have totally made a smart aleck comment but was nice and didn't. I was thinking "Gee, it's a horse? Nooo...couldn't tell it was a horse after spending 25 hours on it!"


Some people crack me up.

3 comments:

oldangelgirl said...

I tell you, I think God made some dumb people just to make us laugh... and sometimes He probably makes us dumb for the same purpose! I loved your project. It's amazing! What is it supposed to be? :)

twiddyfam said...

I don't see it...can you explain again please...
Well done, it looks awesome.

Stefanie said...

Wow! Your horse is fantastic!!