Thursday, October 16, 2008

Embroidery

Right about the end of August I got back into embroidery...after a hiatus of years. Decades, even. I used to do this stuff when I was a kid, I've enjoyed getting back into it. It's very relaxing to do at the end of the day, and highly addictive!

The above picture is four flour sack dishclothes that I did- in my dream house my kitchen will be aqua and white with red retro accents, so that's the color combo I chose. There's still 3 to do in this set of 7 designs- one for each day of the week. They go pretty fast- just a few evenings of sewing and it's DONE! It's a great feeling to get a project completed!

We have a bunch of these flour sacks sewn by my great grandmothers...doing this kind of work makes me feel connected to them. I think that handiworks such as this are like a sign saying "I was here." What do I treasure more from my ancestors...the things they owned or the things they made? While I enjoy objects or furniture that they owned, I feel a special connection to the things they made. Their handiworks outlasted them, these will probably outlast me. It's partly why I like to make things- to create a history.

I have doilies from my great grandmother that I want to put in frames...always something on the to-do list.

Something tells me I will wind up sewing millions of embroidered flour sack dishclothes for my hope chest! Lol

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Holy Cow! Those are gorgous! I'm so impressed and jealous. I wish I could do that.

Aimee said...

Those are beautiful. I don't have talent for that. You are artistically amazing.

Marleen said...

Love them. You are one talented gal. Your dream kitchen will be beautiful.

oldangelgirl said...

Those are beautiful, Lizzy! I used to embroider a lot as a kid, too. One of my favorite past-times at Grandma's house. Where do you even find the time?? :)