Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wild and Wonderful: WV

I have been having fun lately traveling and attending YSA activities and conferences. I figure I only have about 2 years til I get kicked out for being too old, so I'd better have fun while I can! The conference lasted Friday night thru Sunday afternoon. It was a long drive (3 and a half to 4 hours each way) but Ame and I had a good weekend. It was nice seeing the friends we have made lately. Originally Ame was driving, but that didn't work out so I drove. So on to the photos:



Hey Stef, look familiar? The WV building was just like Enumclaw's!



Me, Ame and Tracy (our friend from WV):

Our funny friend Adam:


Bonfire:


Team building exercises:


We went ice-skating on Saturday:
Tracy and me outside the rink- I don't skate cause I have BAD balance and I don't want to fall!
My scary bed- we were lucky to have beds in the basement (you never know what you will get when you are staying with people you have never met before!) but I got the claustrophobic bed in the tiny cave-like room and there was hundreds of pounds of stuff on the top bunk! I had to do breathing exercises to get to sleep the first night, I got a bit claustrophobic! Thankfully I did not hit my head sitting up and I was also afraid the top bunk would crash down on me!

Conference Itinerary:
Friday:
  • Group games (I barely escaped having to play Kissing Rugby!), bad skits, cold pizza, dance with a lamo band (Ivan and I made total idiots of ourselves on the dance floor, that was fun)
Saturday:
  • Breakfast, then workshops- we chose Beekeeping (learned way too much info about the sex lives of bees!), Crispy Critters (we thought it was cooking but turned out to be a lesson on the The Last Days!) and Taking Better Photos (They taught stuff that was unnecessary and skipped stuff that would actually help people, grrr)
  • Team-building exercises (maybe I just don't belong on a team! lol)
  • Ice skating (I had fun taking pics)
  • Hot dog roast outside...totally looked like a Mormon kegger! lol
  • Dance, it was pretty good.

Sunday:

  • Sacrament meeting with WV ward and Elder Chipman of the Seventy as a guest speaker, he was neat. His wife was cute of course.
  • Testimony mtg for just the YSA, very spiritual
  • Grabbed sack lunch, hugged everyone bye, got home at 4:30pm (not bad!)
  • slept very, very deep that night

There were a couple of low points but overall I am glad to have gone and had some escape from everyday life. I'm excited that there are upcoming conferences that are fairly close to us, I'm definitely going to try to go!

It's a little depressing when its time to leave the conferences- Ame is my closest friend out here in PA but I seem to only see her when we travel together! It's hard leaving my other friends that live far away too. And getting really nice hugs from boys (and man did they smell good! How pathetic am I? lol) just reminds me that I don't have that in my life, either. Part of me really wants to move to a larger YSA population (did I mention that it's now just 3 girls including me at fhe??).

So it's back to the usual: school, homework, YW, etc. It's not a bad life, but I am glad to get out of the house every once in awhile!
I have about a month of school left, woo hoo!

P.S. "Wild and Wonderful" refers to the state motto. It was the theme of the conference and we didn't know why it was named that til we saw the sign! We had a little of both this weekend!

3 comments:

oldangelgirl said...

Hurray, you posted! I've been waiting for this since you got back... :)

Parkin Family said...

Wow! That is weird about the church building. It is just like the one back home!

Stefanie said...

oh my...