Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Really?

So I get emails about scrapbooking and this image popped into my inbox and this one wins the "Really???" award:



In case you can't tell, someone has now made Ripley's Believe It Or Not scrapbook paper. Have we been transported to 1999 when all the scrapbook paper looked like this? Is this collection attractive? No! I strongly opposed bad design! It really drives me insane.
Honestly, how often would YOU use this design of paper?? Like never, right? How often do you go to a Ripley's museum and find the need to have matching paper for your photos? Why would you want to have these captions around your pic? In this time of economic turmoil, people aren't spending as much on "frills" like scrapbook supplies...shouldn't one be designing products that people will actually want to buy in these hard times?
To the kids whose photos their moms scrap using this paper, I'm sorry. Truly.
When I worked at Craft Outlet, the buyer drove us crazy. We had a lot of paper that was just too specific for it to sell....I seem to recall a lot of Red Hat Society and Build-a-Bear Workshop paper that never sold. Scrapbook paper needs to be a bit more general for it to sell! And much more attractive. HELLOOOO!!!!
And that is my rant for the day.

3 comments:

Marleen said...

Are you available to put all of my scrapbooks together? I am so not into it but wish I was. So, are you?

Elizabeth said...

Send me prints and I'll do it. I got a lot of supplies I need to use up. Somehow I seem to be more inspired by other people's pics than mine!

Rachael said...

I worked at Craft Outlet once... I remember a lot of the specific stuff, too. And cartoon-y stuff that was a little more popular then, but not much... I think I lasted 5 months before deciding that I hate retail.