Saturday, March 7, 2009

SF: Day 7

Today was....the PARTY. The whole reason we came to CA. My grandma is turning 80 next week and my aunt turned 50 a couple of weeks ago so they had a big joint party today. It was a good day, but I'm a little tired. In the morning, we did all the little things that you can't really do in advance (like fold up the sofa bed that I sleep on) and then the caterer came and set up. The party went from about 2 to 7, you could just stop by anytime. My aunt and grandma have known a lot of people over the years and a lot of people came. Tonight we counted and figured that about 100 people came during that period of time. No wonder I am tired!

My job and Laura's job was to make sure people signed a guest book and we also were in charge of taking photos of people to along with their signature/greeting. It's not too hard of a job at a party when everyone comes in one door, but it was a challenge at this party since people were coming and going every which way- the living room and family room are at opposite ends of the house. I didn't get to sit much, there was always someone to photograph! I chatted a bit with people, there were a few friends of the family that I know. There were some people that I haven't seen for quite a while, it was nice to see them. Somewhere in the middle my Great Uncle Roland made a clever speech about my aunt and grandma, he did a good job. Everyone had a good time, and I think my aunt and grandma enjoyed themselves.


Here are a few photos of my grandma (I scanned and enlarged them for the mantle). She was a hottie in her day!

Grandma and Grandpa (he died when I was 10) taking us grandkids to Great America:

Grandpa and Grandma with baby Eileen (Mom's older sister):

The cake (we had to fix it cause it said Margie instead of Marcie!) :

Grandma and little Kaitlin, age 2:

Laura and me with Emily and Kaitlin (our second cousins):

The photos of my grandma on the mantel- I was primarily in charge of this:

"Auntie" Melissa (my aunt's best friend) and Angel (my friend in SF), her significant other Tom, and her boy Jack (I hadn't seen him in person til today):

Grandma was presented a Certificate of Recognition by the California State Assembly for her contribution to the community by a judge that she's friends with:


I'm still printing photos for the guest books, goodnight. I'm a little bummed that my trip will soon come to an end, but also kinda glad I don't have to worry about the party anymore!

1 comment:

oldangelgirl said...

That is so awesome! What an amazing trip!