Monday, March 16, 2009

Weekend

I am still not fully unpacked from my trip to CA...it's been a busy week of school and then this weekend I was a chaperone for a YW pre-camp sleepover on Friday/Saturday. I had two girls go and everybody had a good time. Our theme for camp this year is "Fit for His Kingdom" and Girl's Camp will be a "Princess Academy", which sounds fun. Each unit is to come up with a Princess mascot that has a gospel undertone. The example was something like "Princesses of Purity" and I was like, really??? Mmmm...no. Am I the only one who thinks that camp should be fun? So my girls and I are going to have Snow White as our mascot- it's something fun and cute to make a flag and cheers and skits with and we can "justify" it...white is the color of faith in YW and there's the scripture in Isaiah about your scarlet sins being turned to white like snow through the Savior.

So as for the sleepover, I am getting a little tired of sleeping on the floor, but it was a good weekend. Friday night was a Spa Nite, with facial masks and makeup and painting nails. There was a fabulous spread of chocolate and goodies and a chocolate fountain, yum. We watched Enchanted, which is a way cute movie, but I have some beefs about it:

  1. Why does Gisele have to fall on Patrick Dempsey's character wearing only a towel? And the whole implications in that scene of what she was "doing" there that night when the girlfriend walks in...not appropriate.
  2. They don't get married. Only the animated couple gets married (In a big goofy ceremony) which in effect says "Marriage is for animated saps, not real people".

I ruined the movie for Miranda, she asked me what I thought and I said "Well, I like it but they don't get married." *glass shattering* "You're right!"she said, she'd never realized that before.

Saturday was filled with silly camp songs, meals, meetings about camp, games, working on our banners, and cleanup.


Frankenstein? No, girls with masks on!
Gotta love watching people make fools of themselves singing camp songs:
The main cabin, very similar to the place we stayed at for Snow Conference:

Girls pretending to ring the bell (since really doing it would be a big no-no cause it is a camp warning system):


Me with Laureen and Katie:


After church on Sunday, our Branch President's grandchildren were baptized- congrats to Carmen and Payton!


Baptisms are always great. Made me think back to mine and how it really is the gateway to so many great blessings.


Maybe I'll get that bag unpacked...someday!


1 comment:

CharityMay said...

awwww, this makes me miss the days of young women's. camp was always a highlight of the year for me. and yay for you, making the theme interesting instead of stodgy. i love the creative touch!