Thursday, January 29, 2009

BLAST from the Past!

For the most part, I'm pretty boring, but sometimes I have fun. Last weekend my tiny YSA hosted a multi-stake conference- it was a lot of work, but so much fun! You see, out here the church is so small that to do anything with another stake, you have to feed them and house them! People came from Pittsburgh (2 hours away), Harrisburg (3 hours away) and yes, even West Virginia (3 hours away)! Our theme was "Blast from the Past" and everyone totally had a blast. We were told by some that this was their favorite YSA conference (and they'd been to a lot!) so that was a great compliment. I, of course, was in charge of decorations and designing the flyer, but somehow that morphed into a lot more! I was beat by the time it was over, but it was worth it.




We started off the evening on Friday with mean, evil Get to Know You Games from Kate...she made us play the torturous "Relay an Orange Using Only Your Neck" game! Some of the girls got rugburn from the guy's stubble! Our advisor, Brother Trusel shot video of this event...we watched it last Monday and I was rolling on the ground and crying with laughter! There is video that totally looks like I am making out with the Harrisburg boys! I was at a bad angle, with the others you can tell there's an orange in there! And he kept the camera on me alot, thanks! Now, keep this in perspective...there is no video of me before the age of 17....but what is on video of me? Necking with an orange! What is the deal with that? I made Laura swear not to tell Mom and Dad about this game, or we'd never hear the end of it! It was hilarious to watch the others, I'll give you that.





Friday's dance:
(and yes those are my family's cheesy records on the walls!)

On Saturday, we listened to our area's Mission President, then played in the snow. Here's my group's creation- with huge icicles for hands and a tail! We named him Lenny:


David, Rene, Ivan, Joash and myself



Went bowling (I stunk but had fun):


L to R: Jon, Tiff, Ame, me, Laura and Dennis way down there.


In the evening, we had our own Jamestown Idol- each group or "band" had to perform their assigned song and use a random bag of props in their act. The hilarity ensued- here is my pal Dennis taking a flying leap off the stage during his group's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun":



Here is my group, we sang "Yellow Submarine" and I made us paper plate portholes. We totally rocked- even submarined into the audience!



Don't you love my witch hat with attached ORANGE hair? ;)

Here are the judges, (from L to R) Randy, Simon and Paula- they nailed their parts to a T!



After Idol, we had dance lessons from Tiff's grandma, I can waltz now! (Sort of!)



Bustin' a move at Saturday's dance (I danced a lot this weekend, aren't you proud of me? It felt good!):



My friend Rene and me:



and my friends Ame and Tiffany- Ame and I are planning on going to the West Virginia conference in March!



Here's the whole gang! I am sitting on the left. We took a group pic before a really great testimony meeting on Sunday morning.



Woo hoo for fun weekends and new friends!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks like a lot of fun. You can never go wrong with bowling.

Marleen said...

I loved crazy single adult activities like that. Looks fun. Glad you had a blast.

oldangelgirl said...

So you DID have a hot date!! Orange seemed to be a theme: orange necking, orange witch hair... Sneakily done. :) You're amazing! And what I wouldn't give to get a peak at that video...

PS The word verification that I had to type in was "ohlob"... Like Kolob, right? Ah, the mysteries of the universe!