Thursday, January 15, 2009

School

I started school this week and thought I'd wait until I'd been to all my classes before I made my report. I'm taking Art Ed (at 8am!), Math, English 102, Drawing II and Beginning Sculpture. I've been busy this week getting supplies and stuff (three trips to the bookstore!) but I think it will be a good semester. Adding to the craziness has been the really awful/cold weather this week, not helping.
Math is a big concern because I'm so bad at it but I think this teacher is pretty good. My Art Ed teacher is pretty good, he is entertaining (has a beard halfway down his chest and loves legos) which is what you need at 8am. I like my drawing teacher better than the drawing teacher I had last semester and my Sculpture class looks to be interesting as well- I'm already having to do a lot of research for upcoming projects, like the first where we make 20 different body parts using different techniques.
I had to laugh at the first assignment in Eng 102- it's a kind of get to know you project. It's based on the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire". If you're not familiar with the verses, he chronicles important people and events from 1949 (when he was born) to when the song came out (in '89). And in groups, it's our job to write another verse, chronicling time from 1989 to today.
This is pretty funny when you realize that my fellow students were born in '88 or '89 and don't remember the '80s! Or much of the 90's for that matter! Freshmen were born in 1990- don't get me started!
We each had to come up with a list of events that we thought were imporant from '89 to today, we haven't written our verse yet. I'm curious to see what my young classmates come up with on their lists! I wonder if I will have to school them on the '80s ("....no, MTV came much earlier than 1989..."). LOL
I'll share it when we get our verse done.
Here's my list so far (in random order):
  • Soviet Union disbands
  • Berlin Wall torn down
  • Hanging chads in the 2000 election
  • The internet became commonplace
  • Desert Storm
  • Sept 11 (of course)
  • Obama elected
  • Current recession
  • Y2K frenzy
  • '93 bombing of World Trade Center
  • Oklahoma City Bombing
  • School Shootings
  • OJ trial (my classmates were like 5 when this happened!)
  • Princess Diana's death
  • Bill Clinton's almost impeachment/Monica Lewinsky
  • Invention of cell phones
  • Stem cell research
  • Hurricane Katrina
  • Tsunami
  • Red Sox win World Series
  • Saddam Hussein captured and executed
  • Current Iraq War

Am I missing anything? Let me know. Soon you'll be seeing more school project pics.



4 comments:

twiddyfam said...

Okay, I remember then capturing Saddam, and a trial, but the whole execution thing is new to me! It wasn't by any chance between 24 Dec. 2006 and 1 Feb. 2007???

Elizabeth said...

That's funny cause it WAS! I looked it up because I didn't remember exactly when and he was hanged on Dec 30th, 2006. You were dealing with a new baby at the time, I don't blame you for not knowing!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, and we met today and reviewed each other's lists...I had more on my list of events than the others cause I actually REMEMBER that period of time! And yes, I had to correct some of them on when things happened. (Insert old lady voice here) Listen here Sonny...back in my day...

LOL

Bruce said...

Don't forget Michael Phelps winning 8 Gold Medals, Father, Son Presidents, Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa break Babe Ruth's and Roger Marris's single season home run records and Barry Bonds breaks Hank Aaron's lifetime homerun record and the Lou Gehrig record was broken by Cal Ripkin, and there are more;