Wednesday, January 28, 2009

CPSIA

If you are a crafty/etsy person, then you probably have heard about the new law (CPSIA) going into effect soon (in February) that bans selling children's items that have not been tested for safety. Keep in mind that testing is very expensive and destroys your "one of a kind" item. Even if you know your item is safe from lead(like a fabric toy), it still has to be tested. Very soon many, many artisans and small business people will not be able to afford testing and will have to stop their business.

This law is in response to the recent lead issues from imported items. While I am not protesting children's safety, the law does not make an allowance for small businesses or handmade items. It was not well thought out. It needs to be changed. Handmade items and other legit toys were not the problem, but now hundreds of thousands of people are affected. Handmade toys grew out of a response to the imported dangerous toys, now they are under attack. I think this is a primo example of government "helping", yet hindering...how will this help the economy? Many people can't find work or are unable to work so they sell their wares. People like me.

Many perfectly good items will have to be thrown out because they were not tested, this could affect children's book and resale items as well. I think that some items should not be resold (car seats and cribs are often recalled, if you are a buyer it is hard to know which are safe) but most are fine. Re-selling items is green and good for the enviroment!

Today (Jan 28th) there are many bloggers protesting this law, I wanted to join them. I feel that the law is taking away too much. I want the freedom to sell what I make- I wouldn't make unsafe items.

Contact your government leaders, tell them how you feel. I was glad to hear that this issue was one of the top 10 things that www.change.org presented to Obama's people reecntly. I really hope this law changes for the better.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

resale and thrift stores were recently exempted from this.

twiddyfam said...

Not to sound like a nerd...but how would that stop people from having "garage sales" ?

Liz said...

Just thought you might like to know. I got a release from the CPSC. It essentially says that small time makers of products are exempt from having to certify and proove of the testing. Until 2010. They are just strongly urged to make sure the parts they use comply.

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

Thanks! =-) I signed up on cpsc(dot)gov to receive emails for all the safety recalls involving childrens products and so I usually get daily emails if there is something kid newsworthy going on.