Friday, January 23, 2009

Family Tree


I made this awhile ago but thought I'd show it here. I wanted to show that it's not hard to make decent looking home decor items using scrapbook supplies. The 9x9" frame came from Ikea, complete with mat. I put a piece of patterned paper behind the mat, then used a metal tree & frames set made by Creating Keepsakes (was sold at JoAnn's, don't know if it is anymore). I copied or printed vintage family photos of my mom's side of the family, cut them out with the included template, and glued them in place. The frames come with adhesive on the back already, just had to stick them in place. I used pink and yellow embroidery floss (it coordinates with the paper) to tie onto the loops of the mini-frames for a more "finished" look. I typed the word "Family", printed it out and adhered it to a white scalloped label from Martha Stewart Crafts and glued it in the corner. It didn't take very long to put together.
I like the look of it- I don't like when people try to put really trendy stuff with old photos in an attempt to "modernize" them- it ususally doesn't work. I try to be more timeless with my scrapbooks than most people. I think you have to respect what era it came from.
My mom likes the family tree a lot, I'm like "It's MINE!";)

7 comments:

Lisa said...

That is such a awesome idea. I'm tired of just plain pictures on the wall, I want something more decorative. Like that!

Beth said...

thats really neat.. i might have to steal your idea!

Parkin Family said...

Oh my gosh! I love it! YOou are so creative! I'd have to copy that idea. That's a great way to do something and save money.

Stefanie said...

that was awesome! I def need to do something like that - you've just inspired me, but I'll probably do something more modern as that is what my tastes usually are!

Rachael said...

I love this! Stunning!

oldangelgirl said...

That's gorgeous, Lizzy. Really classy.

Marleen said...

Beautiful! I hope cool things like this will be on your Etsy site.