Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ironic

So it was heat wave warm on Sunday (41 degrees!) and some of the snow melted. I was worried that it would freeze overnight and be nasty icy yesterday and sure enough I was right. Campus was terrible to navigate around. I was on the sidewalk that was pretty much bare, but I hit a patch of ice wrong and couldn't right myself- my heavy backpack, my pocketed hands and my horrible sense of balance all worked together to have me succumb to gravity's pull.

I landed on my knees on the sidewalk (primarily on my left one) and that wasn't enough to stop me.

I landed on my palms and that still wasn't enough to stop me.

I found myself lying face down in the dirty slush. My phone and keys went flying from my pockets (when my hands flew out to save me) and landed 15 feet away.

This was on top of the really crummy morning I was already having. I got up and limped to Math class. My knee is bruised and skinned, and I wrenched my right shoulder and wrists trying to stick the landing. I am pretty stiff today, it was hard to draw in class. I'll be ok though. I am really glad I was not hurt worse. Thankfully no one really saw me tumble, that would have been embarrassing.

After school I get the mail and pick up a box that came from my Aunt Terry in Alaska. When we opened it, there was a pair of these for each of us:


Yep, that's right. Those cleat things that you slip on your shoes so you don't slip on ice. On the same day. How ironic is that?

(insert Alanis Morrisette song here)

No comments: