Thursday, May 1, 2008

Birdhouse in Your Soul


For this assignment, you had to find "visual" song lyrics and use them to create a piece. You had to create ambiguous space using several methods and you had to have several color schemes. After all that, you had to write an analysis of your work. We were being graded quite a bit on the actual analysis. I used "Birdhouse in Your Soul" by They Might Be Giants. I posted the entire lyrics awhile ago, but the lines I used were:
  • "Let me be the bee in your bonnet"
  • "Leave the nightlight on inside the birdhouse in your soul"
  • "Blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch who watches over you"

I spent a lot of time on this piece and on my analysis (I did the analysis in Photoshop, printed it in color- made it look professional and my teacher was impressed) and got a bit frazzled. I'm glad to report that my critique today went well- my teacher was very pleased with my piece and my analysis. I expect a good grade. I think this is my favorite piece that I made all semester.

I couldn't believe how many other students blew this off- there were a lot of poor pieces and several half finished ones and some didn't have one done at all. A lot made poor analysis', too. This is the final! There were only 4 pieces at the most that I thought were good. It's scary when we've been talking design and color all semester and many students still just don't get it- they still don't know their color schemes or elements of design...and they expect to get jobs in the art world!

1 comment:

Marleen said...

Good for you for finishing. Sometimes I think people just don't realize that you can't always sluff your way through life. Great work.