Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Prints

Last weekend I went to an art sale on campus. It was a place for art students to sell their wares, and the first time they'd done this on campus. I made the effort to go because I think that it's important to support the art community- which begins right around me. I make an effort to see the shows on campus and listen to the speakers that come.

There were not many students selling things, but I had fun looking. Most were printmakers, and there was like one ceramicist. I found several things I enjoyed. I don't believe that art has to be expensive- and that was not the case here! Gotta love art schools. I collect things that I bond with, I don't care if it's going to be worth something someday. Collect what you love.



This print is a monotype- there is one and only one of it:

"Mono means one, and rail means rail.." Gotta love an old school Simpson's quote.

This was created by the artist painting the design on a metal plate and then running it through the intaglio press. The dots were achieved by splattering the painted areas with mineral spirits before printing. This print is larger- approximately 10 x 20 inches. Since there's only one and it's larger, it cost more- all of $10.


This print appears to be a screen print:

It's about 10 x 10 inches. I fell for it because we all have those days where the world is terrible and you just don't want to get out of bed. This went for $5.


This wasn't the cleanest print (note the noise), but I cracked up when I read it:
"There is a fine line between genius and insanity- I have erased this line"
I couldn't resist, and it was only $2!




So what have I been up to in print lately? Here's the latest to show:


I found a book of copyright-free images of Chinese papercuts. I love Asian design, and I collect Chinese papercuts, so there is a bond there. I'll get back to doing my stuff instead of appropriated material. Anyhow, they were an exercise to see how well I could carve a linoleum block and I'm pleased with them. They got a good reaction from my class- a little too good. The one of the lantern is the one that my fellow student told me "FU" as a backwards compliment-he was jealous that I was capable of carving such fine detail. The kids these days, lol.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

These are so neat and fun (and I love that rainy bed.... oh, I get it).

If you're up around here again, I wonder if you'd consider a private print making lesson?