Friday, April 2, 2010

Irene Bedard


This week I had the opportunity to observe actress Irene Bedard on campus, she's best known for being the voice and inspiration for Disney's Pocahontas. There are a lot of animation students here, and they arranged for her to come. I really enjoyed listening to her speak. Physically she is tiny (five feet tall on a good day!) but she has an immense sense of dignity and inner strength. She talked about her life and her family and her journey. She is a spokesperson for Native American issues and has a non-profit organization that benefits Native American Youth.

She has been married to musician Deni Wilson since the early 1990's. They have a son as well. Their wedding story is funny- they were living in NYC and decided to get married on the summer solstice. She then had gotten a role in the movie Squanto: A Warrior's Tale and was only supposed to be in Canada for a few weeks, but that turned into much longer. Their wedding had to keep getting pushed back and pushed back and finally they came to a solution: they would marry on the set. There was a large beautiful ship with sails for the movie that they wed on. The cast and crew attended. The costumers made her a beautiful native looking dress with shells on it. She had white eagle feathers woven in her hair. Deni was put in a swashbuckling outfit and they were finally wed. It was a funny story.
They have a strong commitment to each other and to their son, which was nice to see. They have a policy that they cannot go more than two weeks without seeing one another, and once their son came along, she has transitioned her work to be more focused on her son. She and her husband do music together, they did a concert as well, though I had to miss that.
She talked about how she did a lot of research on Pocahontas for the role, and that she tried to give her as much strength and dignity as possible. I think that shows, and Pocahontas' strength is a big reason why I like her as a heroine better than other Disney films, despite the historical inaccuracies.

Anyhow, it was refreshing to see a kind, respectful, dignified and noble woman and I'm glad she's a role model. We need more women like her in society.

1 comment:

Ryan and Rachel said...

TOTALLY jealous. If I were to get into acting, I think the most fun would be Disney voices. And I agree with you - Pocahontas was pretty dang awesome as far as Disney Princesses go.

So I'm thinking I should come visit. And when I come visit, I should give your entire branch a piece of what's coming to them. Good grief I would move. I love you and think the world of you and no, you should NOT have to club some guy over the head. There is nothing wrong with being happy in the skin you're in and living life. If the Lord wants to plop that guy in your life, rock on! If not, you are still wonderful! It just seems like these people try to make you feel like a disappointment because you aren't married. Grrr.....I'll stop. But I want you to know the Lord loves you and I love you.