Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Can't Help Falling in Love

My sis Laura has been an Elvis fan ever since she was a little kid, so it was pretty perfect when my dad spotted an ad in the paper for a local fundraiser dinner featuring Elvis the weekend before her birthday. It was held at the local Catholic church. She knew that we were going somewhere that night, but it was a total surprise when Elvis came out! It was way fun to surprise her.

Dinner was pretty good and the people at our table were real nice, we might invite them out next time we have a shindig at our place. And then it was time for....ELVIS!!



This photo doesn't even do this woman's hair justice- it was so big! And it was sparkly with glitter! I'm totally doing that when I'm a crazy cat lady.

He took a break and had a costume change...and serenaded Laura with "Happy Birthday":

I wonder who does his costumes...there's a lot of workmanship in them!
Laura hearts Elvis:
And hey, when you get a photo op you gotta take it!

He did a good job- he looked, sounded and danced like the King. He was pretty entertaining, and I admit it was pretty surreal to have Elvis shaking his stuff four feet away from you. He serenaded me during the song "You're so Young and Beautiful" which was nice- for once I was the hottest thing in the room! Laura and I were by far the youngest people there. My parents were some of the youngest there! You couldn't help but be in a good mood during his performance. We all laughed and had a fun time that night. If I ever have an engagement party, I'm totally hiring him. Ha ha.
It's kind of funny these days that no one really dies...if you've been recorded then you still live on in some form or another. We can see you walk and talk anytime we want. They can even make you dance with a vacuum cleaner in a commercial (Fred Astaire). My friend liked to watch her wedding video because then she could see all her family members and loved ones that had passed on since. I remember when Laura was 6 months old and having her first surgery on her head- we've never had a camcorder and so my mom tried tape recording Laura in case something happened. Laura was a pretty quiet baby but she'd make these cute growling noises and my mom wanted to be able to remember what Laura sounded like. Thankfully Laura did well, but we still have the tape somewhere.
I was never video recorded as a child (and rarely since) so I don't know what I sounded like or how my mannerisms were. I only exist in photos. We're kindof funny because we don't have home movies in my family. We have footage of my dad when he was little, so it's funny that there is more footage of him as a child than me. There is footage of Laura when she was young- a tape was made of her at age 3 at her pre-school and we have a copy of her California Raisin performance in grade school.
I find myself taking pictures of everything and I'm never without a camera in my purse- if you don't document it, then did it really ever happen?

1 comment:

oldangelgirl said...

Do you remember out Elvis neighbor in Colchester? Ha!