Wednesday, September 2, 2009

YW in Palmyra

Towards the end of August several of my young women and myself took a trip to Palmyra. Most of my girls come from inactive families and had never seen the sites so we decided to take a trip. Being in a car of girls for 3.5 hours each way (with no stereo!) was a bit interesting, but overall we all had a good time and I think it was good for the girls to get to see the sites that we talk about. It also helped cement things in their minds. I hope that it helped increase their testimonies, that was the goal.


We started at the Hill Cumorah visitor's center:

and saw the Angel Moroni monument at the top of the hill:
Inside the frame Smith home:


The Smith farm, taken from the Sacred Grove:

The Smith cabin:



I was so excited to show them the temple. They were excited to see it too. We talked about why temples are so special as we walked around the grounds:


A kind man took our group photo, I also took a portrait of each girl in front of the temple so they can have it as a keepsake:


Tasha (Katie's nonmember cousin), Katie and Laureen:
The girls enjoyed the Grandin Press tour, it's interesting to learn how books are made. We got to keep a copy of the first 16 pages as they would have been printed back in the day, I didn't get one of those when I saw this during Pageant week! I'm going to have to find a large double sided frame to put mine in.



It was a long but great day and I was glad the girls wanted to go. Tasha asked questions all day, it was definitely a missionary experience for them. I had to remind them to be reverent a few times (they are teenage girls!) but overall they were good. Maybe we'll hit Kirtland before it snows?


1 comment:

oldangelgirl said...

You are so amazing! I am continually wowed by how thoughtful you are. With all of the cards and little gifts, as well as something as wonderful as (woah, lots of 'as's) taking time out of your life to give those girls that experience. I wish my yw leaders had been as good as you!