Thursday, September 24, 2009

I {heart} books!

I love love love art books. I love most books. I tend to prefer non-fiction over fiction, I don't know why. Anyhow, I thought I'd share some of my current fave books in my collection, I'll likely share more in the future.


I really have an interest in color theory and how your brain and eyes work. I think it's important to know about these things as an artist. One of my fave books is Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing by Margaret Livingstone. It really goes into (understandable) detail about how your brain and eyes work together and why certain works of art are more interesting than others. Love it. I also love visual illusions, it fits along with that topic. Some of the illusions are pretty trippy, who needs drugs? Haha.
One of my recent vintage purchases was this book, I loved the cover.......and especially the 1940's illustrations inside. I would like to make copies one day to frame, they're so cute. This book was made in the 40's when my grandma would have been learning to sew (she took several classes), so it makes me think of her.

Another recent purchase is the book Sew Darn Cute by Jenny Ryan. I really like this book, it has cute projects that are stylish yet relatively easy to do. I haven't done any of the projects yet, that's on the To Do List. I bought it at JoAnn's, gotta love coupons!



I recently found these books (still unpacking boxes after two years!) and I was so glad because I'd been looking for them. When my mother was a missionary in Colombia in the mid 1970's, she bought these fairy tale books that are written in Spanish. I grew up with them as a kid and I've always loved the illustrations. They're very nostalgic for me and now they live in my room.
Funny Story: When I was little I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I couldn't understand these books, not even when my mom would try to explain that they were in another language! It took me awhile to catch on. Eventually I did take Spanish in high school and now I can read them, though you get the gist of it with the pictures.



I have tons of books, I need more shelves! My bookcase (it only took 27 years to have my own! A dream has come true!!) is full and I have piles on the floor! I drool over IKEA catalogs and I dream of shelves....



3 comments:

Megan said...

I love books, too...and am getting back into painting. Maybe I'll see if I can find the "Vision and Art" book. Sounds fitting. Thanks for posting!

Elizabeth said...

Yes, the book would be good for you. It's one of my faves. I'd love to see your paintings, you should post pics of them sometime. I'm in a painting class right now and I like it.

Megan said...

I have a few paintings that I'm working on...I am thinking of starting a blog just for my paintings...I'll put a link from my family blog once I get pictures taken of my art.
You need to post more of your artwork. You are so talented.