Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sew Fun

I found out from my JoAnn's coupons that September is National Sewing Month, who knew? I haven't done much sewing the last couple of weeks what with school and all, but I did sew quite a bit over the summer and still have some unfinished projects left over to do. I also have projects not even started! Anyhow, I thought I'd show what I was up to.



I got this pincushion pattern (I love it when patterns are on sale at JoAnn's!) ...note the turtle.


Only when I looked at the turtle, I saw....a ladybug!
I just ommitted the head and legs and changed the colors, I think it turned out pretty sweet:
Pincushions are comprised of little pieces which can be tricky but it's a good way to use your scraps. I couldn't stop there, had to make a groovy mushroom:




I used scraps of vintage fabric and sewed on some buttons for interest.

I love my butterfly quilting pins!

I wasn't thinking of my groovy sewing machine when I made the mushroom but they go together! Yes, I have an inner hippie, lol.




I came across a fab freebie pattern at Made By Rae for this adorable Buttercup Bag. If you buy the pattern, you get a larger version and the rights to sell the bag. One of these days I'll have to purchase the pattern so I can sell them and whatnot. I made several, it's a pretty easy pattern and it only takes a couple of fat quarters to make. I have fun mixing and matching fabric on these!
I made one in brown...

and one in yellow and bright green. When I bought the yellow, it was rolled up and I couldn't tell it was birds! That was a funny surprise!

And another in sunny yellow.
More bags in the works, at this rate I'll have one for every outfit!


National Sewing Month includes hand sewing, right? When I was going thru boxes this summer, I found a YW project I started forever ago when I was in Young Women's, some sort of wall hanging. I was such a procrastinator back then, lol. I had to finish hand sewing the black stitching around each heart, and sew on a button. Since Virtue was added recently to the YW values, I had to find some golden fabric (hard to find a shade not too yellow or too brown) and buy some fusible web and attach it to the left in the middle row. Then I added "YW values" on the other side so it was balanced. I have no idea what was supposed to go in those spaces, if anything. I think I will donate it to the YW room, it did feel really good to get it done!


I went to Salvation Army the other day, I love shopping at places like that. I found some good stuff, like this shower curtain with a large bfly print for only $1.99! I'm debating whether to leave it as a shower curtain or to cut it up for pillows or something. Hmmm.

You have to use your imagination when you go thrift shopping...I bought this burgandy velvet dress for $6. And yes, it's real velvet, not the stretchy stuff! I intend to take the dress apart to use the velvet for a project- you can't buy velvet this cheap at the fabric stores! I'm thinking about making an embossed velvet leaf wreath like what Martha Stewart did a few years ago.


I bought this flat sheet and matching pillowcase, it was such a cute print and I loved how it faded, too. I have a pattern for making a cute pillowcase tote bag, I'm not sure what I'll do with the sheet.

I have become even more obsessed with fabric this past year and I love sewing so you're likely to see more projects in the future! I'm trying out quilting now too. If you have any sugggestions for the fabric shown, I'd love to hear them!

No comments: