Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Etsy

So, finally following Marleen's advice, I looked into having my own Etsy shop. It looks like fun. I haven't signed up yet- I want to think of the right name first. There's some other considerations:

  • What to sell?
  • I'd want to open up a new banking account solely for Etsy so that that record is kept separately

If I name it after me, Elizabeth Erin, then it can just be what I make, whatever it may be. I don't just make one type of item, I make lots of different things. I can have a cool logo of mirror image E's. It's reasonably easy to spell. And the double E's make it more memorable- it worked for lots of famous people (Marilyn Monroe, Charlie Chaplin, Greta Garbo, etc).

I considered naming it Ladybuglizzy but then people might think I only sold ladybug things and might be confused.

I want to get my stuff out there and that's kind of hard in rural PA. Not to mention it would be nice to have some scratch and there are little employment options around here. Since on Etsy you are allowed to sell 1)handmade items 2)supplies to make craft items and 3)vintage items, this would also be a good way to get rid of craft items I regret buying or don't need anymore and then I could use that $ to buy what I want!

I think it's really neat that someone thought this up and that it works pretty well. It's nice for crafty/artistic people to now have this option. I have things that I wanted to sell to the general public (my paper doll nativity set for starters) and just didn't know how to. Some people can support themselves solely on Etsy sales, though I don't expect to. I'll post more about this when I get set up.

7 comments:

Marleen said...

I can't wait. I will be one of your #1 customers for sure. I love the idea of using your name. It flows off the tongue really well. I have some ideas of what you could sell . . . your art for starters. I love your one of a kind paper art cards that you send as well as your awesome photography. And, also love your paper nativity. If you could make paper dolls with accessories I would so buy it for my girls. Being an artist, your options are limitless. Let all of us know when it opens, I'd love to visit.

Marleen said...

By the way, I really like your new header. Very classy.

Lisa said...

I would buy your art. I like the double EE idea, but also LadyBugLizzy is cute too. But if I didn't know you I would think of ladybug stuff. Can't wait. Let us know.

oldangelgirl said...

I really like the Elizabeth Erin idea. It's classy. Just like you! And I think you will sell a whole lot more than you think you will. You really underestimate yourself! You are so incredibly talented. I can't wait to see what happens!

Aimee said...

I've looked on Etsy before. I think that it will be so benificial for you. Good luck with this next step.

Jenni said...

I've been on etsy for about two years now. I actually have a separate blog about my crafting/products and to just be a general etsy-geek. :) I've been working on a series of 'tips for etsians' there on the blog--sharing a lot of things I wish I'd learned sooner about selling on etsy. Feel free to visit! http://liletsyshop.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

Everyone has left such nice messages about this, thanks. I definitely want to do this, thanks for the support!