Sunday, November 27, 2011

Still

I've accumulated some amusing stories recently regarding my single status...here you go. I figured I'd lump them all in one post rather than having several rants in a row. I share these in hopes of educating the general public.

Story One:
My former branch president's son visited church with his wife and small children recently. They were cleaning the carpet with some spot remover when the baby started crawling for it. I grabbed the baby before he could crawl into the chemicals. It's nice knowing that I do have some motherly instincts in there somewhere! I held the baby on my lap and my former branch president says "Liz, that looks very natural to have a baby on your lap."

Ok, um, thanks? I chose to take it as a compliment. It's nice knowing that I look like I could pull off being a mother. And then I wished that he would leave it at that.

But of course he didn't stop there.
I didn't get my wish. 

"You really should have some babies of your own," he finished- in front of everyone. 

Really?? You know, I think I've heard that before. Let me get a pencil and write this down. 

Supposed... to... have.... babies. Who'da thunk it?


I think next time this happens, my retort will be "But I'd be in big trouble if I had a baby right now."

Can you say cart before horse?
And to say this to me as though I don't want babies?
Or that I am in a place in life where I could be having babies and am choosing not to?
How about I find a man first??
Hello??





Story #2:
I was at a stake meeting for YW- we have one every stake conference. I've attended 6 or 7 over the years, having been in YW since 2008. Our stake YW pres was talking about how we're to be an example to the girls and then was asking things like "Do you have faith? Are you a good example of a righteous wife and mother?"

Once again, didn't find it offensive. Trust me, heard worse. The leaders should be striving to be a good example to the girls in this area of life. Not to mention that I wish I could be an example of a happy marriage and family. Our YW pres understands the plight of being single, having lost her husband and having to take care of the family all by herself for years. And she now recently re-married, I'm super happy for her. She certainly was not saying anything offensive. My other YSA friend recently got put in her ward's YW so I'm happy that I'm not the only single person in YW in our stake. Someone to commiserate with, ha ha.

But then there was this one lady I'd never met before who somehow felt that my friend and I had been slighted and that she needed to come to our rescue. She didn't. I can fight my own battles, thank you. And this wasn't even a battle. I know she meant well, but it got bungled.

"But they're still examples of a righteous woman," she said. 

It was that still that got my goat. Was anyone saying we weren't?
 No.

Is having a wedding ring a requirement for being a righteous woman? I hardly think so. Nor does it determine one's righteousness. Of course we are still examples of righteous women. Why was this in question?

And then she went on,"And they can be good examples to the girls, because not all the girls will get married."

Well thanks for making me feel good about myself.

Is that really all I'm good for? To be the Poster Child of Singleness? I think not. I can't teach them anything else in the gospel, really?? And her comment sounded like my friend and I were never getting married.

Isn't it funny when people's comments are more offensive than what they tried to clarify?

People, please watch it when you "mean well."

Story #3:

About two weeks ago some of our YSA leaders thought it would be a wonderful idea to sign us single people up to be in charge of their ward's Valentine's Day dance. Without asking us in advance. And this activity was already assigned and they switched it so we could do it! Keep in mind that this ward is full of young marrieds. Clearly this was not thought out...you think we want to be in charge of an evening for marrieds?!? And have our noses rubbed in it?? Add the fact that no one is dating any one else in our YSA group- it's not like we could bring a date to it to remedy the situation. My YSA group protested, only to be met with "But you can use our daughter's lights from her reception, it'll be fun." Um, that makes it better???

Only my YSA group would get asked to do this!

Eventually I think they got the hint and we're not booked anymore. I probably would have helped, if only to have a good story out of it. They can borrow my chocolate fountain if they want.

Leaders and fellow members, please put yourself in our shoes. That's all I ask. 
Oh, and to all those who treat me like a human being, thank you


I think that's all my happenings for now. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Becky H said...

Ha, those are some great stories! I have to say way to go planning for Valentine's day already. I don't know when I last heard of a dance not associated with youth or a YSA conference.