Sunday, November 20, 2011

Placement 1: Weaving

 I didn't have the opportunity to take weaving while at Edinboro, so it was nice to be a part of the weaving class. I learned a lot in this class and it was neat to try new things. I started off by learning how to weave straps on an inkle loom. It looks complicated, but it really isn't. You push the bottom strings up or down as you you weave your warp back and forth. You can achieve all kinds of designs by how you string it and what colors are "up" and which are "down".
Student work:


My work:


I want an inkle loom for myself! I hope to turn these into camera straps. 

There were several table looms where students could make purses, pillows, table runners, etc:

She sewed in a sweet lining:

Student pillow:

 Students did work on large floor looms, our classroom was huge- room for 7 large looms!

Student afghans:






They look complicated, but they're really not.

 My teacher's work:



I got to make a rug! It was super fun.


I totally lucked out that the warp that the girls chose were great colors!
This rug loom was so beautiful- I'd never seen one like it. It came from the early 1900's and I loved the decorative pieces on it. 

By the end I was halfway decent at troubleshooting student's problems and putting the warp on the loom. Warping can get rather tedious!

I was glad to get the experience, wish I could have made more!

1 comment:

Becky H said...

I never had something like this at school. Rassinfrassin inner city schools...