Friday, November 5, 2010

Gaga Ooh La La

Halloween weekend I went down to the Tuckahoe YSA conference down by Harrisburg for some fun. I went to this conference last year and had fun and this year they extended it to Sunday which made it a bit easier for us driving so far (five hours!). The whole event took place at a Boy Scout camp.

I got to be a princess and stay in a castle:




Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!
Couldn't resist.


Friday was games and food and there was a fun bonfire, too. I really need to watch the things that come out of my mouth when it's late and I'm tired, lol!

 Kristen, Miranda, me and Laura having girl talk

On Saturday, we had a really great speaker, Brother Toma. He even sang for us, too. He talked about missionary work and it was great. Very spiritual. So many inspiring stories- you really never can guess who will join the church! You also can't be discouraged when something doesn't happen right away. If you recall Elder Nelson's talk in conference, it was Brother Toma's dad that he said would join the church and then offered to seal Brother Toma's mother and father. Ten years later, the dad joined the church and Elder Nelson did seal them.

So, we need to Speak, Ask, Live the gospel and Testify. After Brother Toma there was a panel of  bishops/stake presidents that answered submitted questions. It was good, though I kindof wished there had been a woman's perspective offered. I also wanted to answer when someone had submitted the question "I'm 30, why do I feel old?" Hey! We're not old! Quit comparing yourself to others! Don't listen to those who think you're nothing if you didn't get married by age 22!

Later on there were activities- I didn't care about the obstacle course or ziplining (a bunch of people got hurt ziplining so it was a good thing I didn't go cause I'm such a klutz!) so I stayed at the main cabin and carved a wicked awesome pumpkin:




I like how it glows:




So what was I for the Halloween dance?


Lady Gaga!


I know her music is way naughty, but I get a big kick out of her crazy costumes and thought it would be fun to design and make my own. You know someone is having fun making all those crazy things for her to wear! I decided if I was going to do this, then it had to be this year cause who knows how much longer she'll be popular! I actually wish I'd done this costume even crazier!

It took 5 rolls of duct tape (it comes in any color- sweet!), 3 T-shirts as the base of the overpiece, a wig and spray-painted shoes! I also found red polka dotted eyelashes! When I found these pants for $3 at Goodwill, it was a sign to do this costume! I collect fake eyelashes- I love wearing them, the crazier the better and this was a good opportunity to wear some! The trick was to do a modest costume- a challenge since she often wears leotards!

It was funny because most people understood what I was but some people thought that I was Fire or they'd never heard of Lady Gaga before...I was like, What rock are you living under?? I don't have tv or internet and I know full well who she is!



My pal Ivan and I both showed up in red duct tape (he's a tetris piece and had two buddies in other shapes/colors)...good minds think alike! Pretty redneck to make a costume out of duct tape, huh?



My galpals from my stake

These pics don't show it well, but I have these flamelike appendages coming off of my front. The outfit weighed a ton and was hot to wear but I had fun. The top and skirt were separate pieces so I could move and actually sit down. I had wanted to attach red hula hoops to me but the ability to sit down won out.

Me and my friend Jared

Oh, and I had "You and Me could write a Bad Romance" written on my back...I was at a YSA conference, after all! I don't think anybody saw it because the T-shirt crinkled up in the back. It was my own secret joke to myself- there's very little dating potential at these things!

There were lots of really great costumes at the dance, almost everyone dressed up. There were a group of girl M&Ms, Jack and Rose from Titanic, The Morton Salt girl, a peacock with a real peacock feather tail, the Red Queen, a Mountie (who is really Canadian!) and a bunch of other fun ones. I have a bunch of ideas swimming in my head for next year, I don't know which one will win!



Sunday was church there at the camp with a testimony meeting, it was nice. In all, I had a lot of fun being a big goofball this weekend and seeing people that I don't get to see all the time. A good mix of spiritual uplift and fun- which I needed.

Mental note: Next year make a figure flattering costume! Red duct tape does not help so much!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Love your costume. Also, I'm going to be going around like "rah, rah, oh ma ma..." all day now.