Monday, September 13, 2010

Update

Well, I've now survived two whole weeks of school. I'm taking Art History (Post war to present), Art Ed, Bio 101 (dang core classes), Fabricating Metals and Woodshop. I like my metals and woodshop the best so far. I have the same teacher as when I took casting two years ago, and I enjoy her. This time around we're manipulating sheets of metal into stuff. I'm riveting these days. ;) Let's hope I can solder better this time around!

This is what I've done so far in class- my practice rivet piece. I think I'm doing a floral pin for my real project. I did a tube rivet at the top so I can put it on a necklace. It turned out kinda big so it'll really be some bling! I'm not really crazy about mixing metals or the hammered texture on the brass, but having a texture was a requirement. I do like the silhouette. The silhouette came from my print last semester, and the outline for the frame came from the gold frame I spraypainted black!

In woodshop I'm learning how to use hand carving tools (while trying *not* to carve my hand) while making an "alien fruit vessel" which is a silly project. I'm basically making something that my teacher will like because I feel so uninspired by this project. The rest of the semester will be spent making a table and I have several ideas floating through my head for that. I'm much more excited for that.

This art history class is about modern art and my teacher is a bit too right brained, she makes little sense and is hard to follow.

My dear friends John and Nancy (from my mission) came to see me Labor Day weekend- we had a nice weekend though I was a bit stressed from having started school. I also worried too much about entertaining them. It made me feel good about myself that people were willing to drive ten hours to come see me. I was excited for my dad to meet John, since they can totally talk shop. Unfortunately Mom was still in CA at the time so she missed out on seeing them. I took them to Presque Isle and then we ate lunch at Quaker Steak & Lube. They got a big kick out of all the car/motorcycle stuff everywhere. It was a nice day.


It was SO windy, we didn't make it to the other lighthouse! Could hardly breathe.

This weekend I got to go to the Sparty Fair with my sis- it's such a little fair that you can do it all in an hour and a half! Love it. We went when it was dark so I could photograph the rides in motion. We also rode a carousel that was SO clunky- you had to hang on for dear life! Something very wrong with it's motor/mechanism.



It was a chilly night, I was glad to have a coat! I rode this ride and I timed it perfect so I was the last one on (instead of having to dangle at the top while it got loaded) but didn't fare so well when unloading. A little nervewracking!
I used to help run a ride just like this when I worked at Enchanted Village many moons ago. Good times.

Well, that's all for now. September and October are filling up fast!



2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love your blog header. It makes me smile everytime I see it.
Cool jewelry. You're so talented.

Rachael said...

That project is really similar to the guidelines Chris has for his students' first piece- except without the high schhol apathy :) Nice work!