Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Pin of E

The first assignment for my Fabricating class was to construct something out of sheet metal (copper, brass and nickel silver are your options) using rivets- lengths of tubing or wire that you hammered to make stuff stay in place.

You either had to have a moveable piece or have a depth of at least a quarter of an inch. I decided to make myself a pin using both metals and fabric- the challenge being to have them work well together. It's often difficult to mix media and have it be successful.


The original idea was to have some pieces of photos and negatives riveted in there as well but that didn't pan out. My negatives were too brittle and kept breaking since I was bending them on the curved inner piece. I think I will have to design a flatter pin in order for that to work. The wheels in my head are spinning...

Like most projects, it evolved as I went along. I do like the "E" that I sawed/drilled on the leaf on the left. I backed it with nickel silver to really show the contrast. I started with it first, then did the other leaf, pounding texture into it. I love the rolled edge on the shantung silk- that was a happy accident when I ripped a strip to make the ruffle. The second layer in is pink cotton, which frays when torn.

This is the trial look with the negatives- too busy and no real good way to rivet on a curve, so away they went. This also shows that the copper looked disgusting with the pink until I applied a patina to the metal. I bought several colors of pink fabric because I didn't know what color would look best.
 

You really never know what you're going to get with a patina- sometimes it turns out brown or purple or whatnot. This time it turned my metal black instantly, which turned out to be serandipitous. I sanded back the black so it remained in the crevices yet still left the metal purplish and not bright orange.

Here's a view from the back- I riveted the pin back on, then the leaves and then the other pieces through the middle- a challenge with the cupped in front. Riveting is always easier with two flat surfaces.


I liked how it turned out and do have plans to wear it to upcoming YSA conferences. I have a new gray blazer that I had in mind when selecting the coloring. I had critique today and it went well- mine was one of the more "complete" offerings. My teacher said that she liked this about the best of the metal work she's seen me do (she was also my teacher for Casting two years ago) because it was more personal and interesting.

I like how it combines a lot of the things that I like, that it's a rather personal pin. I love a vintage look and I love making these kind of ruffle flowers. I love fabric. And I love typeography, which is represented in the scrollwork "E". The "E" isn't terribly obvious, it's like a little secret.

It was kinda funny that so many people asked me "Why is there an "E" on your piece?" And I would have to say "Well, E is for Elizabeth" and they would feel so stupid! It's funny to me that everyone knows me as Liz out here- it's almost like having a different personality!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

It's stunning.

Julie said...

I love this pin project, specially since you mixed mediums. Being creative, you definitely have an easy, inexpensive way of making gifts for friends and family!