Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Youth Conference

My sleeping bag and suitcase have gotten quite a workout this year and especially lately as I chaperoned Youth Conference the weekend after I went to the Tuckahoe Conference. I'll admit it: I didn't want to go to Youth Conference, mostly because I am still sick and really wanted my rest. But I had two girls going, so off I went.

None of our YW went last year, so having two go this year was an improvement and I was glad that they decided to go. None of my girls are terribly active so this was a good opportunity for them.

In the end, the weekend was good for all of us and I did have some fun. On Friday night, the kids made little oil lamps out of clay and then they had an 80's dance. It was hysterical having to correct the girls about the 80's! Kinda made me feel old, lol.

Conversation 1:
Laureen: What should I wear to the 80's dance?
Me: Well, blah blah, bright colors, blah blah...
Laureen: I'll wear my halloween costume then! It's bright colors!
Me: But your costume was Go Go 1960's, that's different.
Laureen: But it's bright colors!
Me: Sigh...

Conversation 2:
Katie: I'm going to request an 80's song. I'll request "Barbie Girl".
Me: Uh, Katie, that's not from the 80's.
Katie: Well then I'll request "Mambo No. 5". That's 80's, right Liz?
Me: Uh, no Katie. Much more recent.


I found my vintage sunglasses pin, pinned on the extra button from my coat, and added some saftey pins to become insta-80's. Not bad for spur of the moment! The button was in honor of a shirt I had as a kid that was covered in buttons. I know I have 80's jewelry somewhere, I'll have to find it. I did a side ponytail and bought some very buh-loo eyeshadow on the way to picking up the girls, so funny to see that Cover Girl makes "new"eyeshadow the same shade as Cookie Monster! Who wears this stuff for real??

We're planning our January YSA conference and I really think our dance has got to be an 80's dance. It would be so much fun!





My retro look:

Loved Miranda's hair!
My "Only in Lynnwood" blue eyeshadow:
The lake was pretty:
Laureen and Katie in front of the Girl's cabin:


On Saturday, the kids had many, many speakers and they got to make little tart-type pies and they had a lesson about the Brother of Jared, as the tarts resembled barges. While the kids played outside in the afternoon, I sat with a table of older sisters and listened to their birth/nursing stories for at least an hour and a half. Kindof awkward when you're the only non-married, non-baby producing person at the table. Don't get me wrong, I like babies but it was a bit much. I don't really fit in at youth activities...I'm not one of the older adults and I'm not one of the kids.
The closing devotional on Saturday was about the parable of the ten virgins, then each youth got their baked clay lamp and got to put a wick and olive oil in it and light it. I had a little epiphany when Brother Papa was talking about the bridegroom coming. No, not referring to Jesus or the Second Coming but about literally a groom...am I ready? One day he will come and I need to be ready. That has caused me to do some thinking and evaluation of myself.
Part of me is like "Good grief, where's my man?" and part of me is like "Ahhh! I'm not ready!" and those two sides duke it out. I think the biggest obstacle to my feeling ready is my health, so I need to work on that.
See? Youth Conference is good for everyone, including big kids like me.

1 comment:

oldangelgirl said...

Okay, so you're makeup was way too tasteful for the 80's. You need to go Mimi (from the Drew Carey show) on it!! That blue color actually brought out your eyes beautifully.

I completely hear you about the groom thing. I've had exactly the same thoughts. I wish I were already on the threshold of the sealing room, but I'm pretty certain I'm not ready yet... Sigh... But then, who ever really is? The eighteen year-olds? :)

All we can really do is keep progressing and growing and improving - and do it for ourselves, not some ethereal idea of a man - and things will come together. I just wish it could be sooner rather than later!!

I love ya, hon!