Friday, November 6, 2009

Halloween Conference

Last weekend (Friday and Saturday) I went down by Harrisburg, PA to yet another YSA conference. I have some friends down there that I've met at other conferences and I really wanted to do something fun for Halloween. I haven't had an opportunity to dress up in costume or do anything spectacular for Halloween since moving here, and Halloween is one of my favorite holidays!

Things were going well on the trip down (I left from school)....until my Google directions failed me...what should have taken about 5 hours took me 7 (!) because it skipped a step and didn't tell me to get off the freeway. So I'm looking for the exit on the wrong freeway...I figured this out after I made it through Harrisburg and I knew the place was before Harrisburg. But the real problem was that there were NO exits to turn around for the longest time! I finally got turned around and found the campgrounds (by using my directions from the camp to home and figuring it out backwards). I got there later then I wanted and I was rather frazzled. I turned my frown upside down and changed into my costume for the dance.

I tried to be a pirate, I even made a skirt. But I think I came off looking more like a gypsy, lol. I couldn't find boots anywhere and I need some stripes in there, then I'll look like a pirate. Next time. I joked with Stef that I was there to find my own Steve the Pirate, lol. Gar!



My costume:

Me and Ivan:

Lots of cute costumes at the dance, like PB&J!:

My friends Ivan, Becca and Kate (as conjoined twins, lol!):
It was hilarious watching the "twins" dance!
The dance was fun...except for some really short guy wanting to dance with me and having his hand on my butt! He was short, but come on!

After the dance I helped out in the haunted house (put together in a creepy abandoned cafeteria at the camp). It was rather reminiscent of when I helped out at my friend's haunted house in high school. And also very reminiscent of hiding and scaring Laura back when we had a hallway!It was fun scaring people! Some people really jumped, it was great. Others I just distracted til they reached the guy hiding in the corner and then he scared the crap out of them! Teamwork rocks.

Inside the haunted house, now I really look like a gypsy:


And as a witch at my post:
Typecasting, no? LOL




Boy scouts built the camp and most of it was normal cabins but I got to sleep in the fort!
Across the street was this castle, but alas no Prince Charming:


The next day was fun as well. After breakfast we had a really good speaker (I may devote an entire post to him later) and then you could do whatever. I played Apples to Apples (such a fun game!) with a big group of people, it was pretty funny! You could go canoeing or go on a big zip line which didn't appeal to me.


Breakfast with my new friend Myriam (she's from Florida, served a mission in WA and also moved to PA to be near her family!). I didn't catch Leather Jacket Girl's name.
I meet a lot of really neat people at these events, love it!


I left a little early so that I could get home at a halfway decent time that night. Going home was much smoother, I made it home at 9:30pm. I took my time and stopped a few times for food, potty breaks, etc. I also saw elders at one of the rest stops! I went over and said hi to them...yes I have become one of the crazy RMs that used to come up to me, lol. They were very sweet and had both served near our little branch, they knew some of our members.

All was going well til I woke up with the flu on Sunday, so no church for me. I imagine I caught it at school, everyone has been dropping like flies. I was pretty amazed I hadn't caught it yet, especially since I have such a crummy immune system. I spent four days on the couch in a what seemed like a fever induced coma, I went back to classes yesterday. I'm still tired and a bit weak but doing alright. Thankfully it worked out that I didn't miss anything terribly important.
I got better just in time to go be a chaperone for Youth Conference this weekend! I'd really like to rest, hope I survive okay! We're camping in cabins up in NY, I seem to be camping a lot lately!

2 comments:

oldangelgirl said...

I don't count it as camping unless there is a tent involved... but that's what you'd get from an Idaho girl! I don't think I've ever been "camping" in cabins. :) It sounds like you had an amazing time. You even got groped! Congrats! :)

Stefanie said...

cute gypsy pirate!