Friday, November 20, 2009

Happy Birthday to all....

...and to all a great night! I think the birthday party idea was hatched back in September or so, the girls were saying that they hadn't gotten to celebrate their birthdays at YW (I send a card but I don't make a night of it or else we'd never get anything done!) so we decided to celebrate everyone's birthday last Wednesday- no one had a birthday this month so it was "neutral". We started with a mini lesson about Heavenly Father and the plan of happiness and how to deal with adversity, then moved on to our game. I ran 6 lengths of yarn all through the YW room, each led to a reward. Some were easier then others. Definitely some adversity! It was quite the tripping hazzard!


"Spiderwebbing" a room is a family tradition of ours, every now and then we'll make someone follow a tangled string to their present. Each girl found two sets of knit gloves (not bad for a buck!) at the end of their string since I had heard some of them say that they needed gloves for winter. They had fun and learned some patience and cooperation while untangling themselves! One girl didn't show, so I wound up playing too.

Laureen, Breanne and Jen:
Then we moved on to decorating cakes. It was a lot of prep and a lot of cleanup, but the girls and I had fun! They learned how to do a crumbcoat, how to frost the cake and then they had fun playing with the different colors and frosting tips.

Kelsey, Laureen, Jen and Breanne (Katie not pictured):




Laureen did flowers:


Katie drew an anime character, she was pretty good with piping frosting!


I was too busy to decorate a cake at the party, so I decorated the leftover cake later that night. I was stuck with a rectangle cake, so what else could I do but an homage to my Kodak!


I think I can apply for my Wreckerator license now, lol.
The girls are as sweet as their cakes, I really enjoy this calling and I'm growing along with them.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

What a good idea for an activity for the girls! I just got called to be the yw secretary so it will be interesting what I get to see!