Monday, June 1, 2009

Kirtland: Part III

I went to the YSA conference "Zion's Camp" May 22-24th and had a really nice time. I think I deserve some credit for going to a conference without a gal pal at my side. Though my leaders and Mike (who was my ride) attended, I was pretty much on my own. I hate going to stuff like this by myself, so I was pretty proud of me. I really didn't know many people since I don't know really any Ohio people. My other friends in other YSA groups didn't make it to this one. But it was still a good weekend. Friday night there was a luau, complete with roasted pig! Outside there were a bunch of tiki torches and it was all fun and festive. This family put on a really great Polynesian show for us and the Grobergs.



Dancers (which the boys liked a lot, lol):

The flame dance was really cool:


Me, Sister and Brother Trusel (my advisors) and Mike:


On Saturday, we had workshops- I learned about Lands of the Book of Mormon, Historic Kirtland, and Psychology behind Eating (tips like using a smaller plate). They were all good. Then later in the afternoon we broke up and did service projects. We opted to go to an assisted living center and visit the residents. We played bingo with them and I had fun chatting with an adorable lady in her 90's. It was a really hot weekend and murder to be in the unairconditioned house. We had some free time after that so the Trusels, myself, Mike and this guy Joseph escaped to a local soda shop that was so cute. Vintage stuff on the walls, Elvis playing...it was great. I got birch beer (like root beer), I was so happy. I haven't had birch beer since CT, and it was great. I also got to pose in an old bumper car, I want one of these!




The assisted living place was in this amazing historic house, it had beautiful woodwork inside:



There was a fireside with Elder and Sister Groberg, they were great to hear from. I especially have a soft place in my heart for them- the movie "The Other Side of Heaven" was playing in the theatres and was the last movie I saw just days before I left for my mission. It was really nice to meet them and tell him how much I enjoyed the movie. Once I got home I re-read the book (it's incredible!).

Me, The Grobergs, and Mike:
After the fireside there was a dance, it was pretty good.
I stayed with a really nice girl, Anne. She works restoring art, way cool in my book. Her apartment was old and very sweet. Who wouldn't love a fireplace like this? She also had a built in window seat. So jealous!

On Sunday we had sacrament meeting in the Kirtland temple (The Community of Christ/RLDS church lets other groups use it) which was really great. The Grobergs spoke to us again and then we had a testimony meeting. After all that, we had a catered lunch (by far the best food all weekend) at the community college since the church was busy. There was free time before another late fireside, but we decided to go home since we were 1) tired and 2) had just seen Kirtland two weeks prior. We saw the statues at the visitor's center once more and took off for home.

Yesterday back at my branch I had a wonderfully embarrassing moment: my branch president was asking about the conference and then asked me if I'd gotten to know any nice boys. I replied no cause that was the truth (after considering telling a white lie) and then my branch president and his councilor both were telling me that I needed to be more aggressive with the boys! A really awkward moment of silence followed. Just what I need- advice from people who don't really know me nor do I feel need to be included in the details of my (non-existent) love life. It's a good thing I can laugh at situations like that. More adventures in the life of a single gal.

If any of you are in the Palmyra or Kirtland areas, I'll totally be your tour guide!

No comments: