Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kirtland: Part II

I've seen the exhibit "The Healing Power of Jesus Christ" twice this month (once with the YSA and once at the Kirtland YSA conference) and it is truly amazing. Artist Angela Johnson has done a really beautiful body of work. For a limited period of time it was exhibited in the church's visitor's center in Kirtland, soon it will be in Nauvoo from what I hear. If it is in your area, please take the time to go see it, it's so worth the trip. I enjoyed it on several levels: the subject matter, the design principles used, and the bronze work itself. Most of the pieces were 2.5 to 3 ft tall.

I don't remember the exact titles of all the pieces, but this one is of the woman who wiped Christ's feet with her tears:


Walking on Water (I love the water texture):



Christ praying:



With Martha and Mary:


I believe this one was titled "Free to Choose"- starting at the middle (with the family), it depicts how we are free to make choices that lead us to or away from Christ. Each figure represented a specific virtue or sin. The artist also intentionally made the sin portion darker and the virtue portion lighter.


I really loved this one of Jesus with the Leper, I also really liked the texture of the leper's clothes:



One of my absolute favorites was this one with Christ calling Lazarus out of the tomb:


This one was inspired by the scriptures where Christ says he would gather Israel like a hen gathers her young:


I also really loved this one of the First Vision:



The trees were probably about 4 feet tall.

Here's a closeup:


This one is of the adulterous woman, I believe it was called "Where are Thine Accusers?":



I can't say enough wonderful things about this exhibit, the statues are so beautiful and they really bring in the spirit. Even my mother (who is not so big on statues and paintings of Christ) really loved it. I'm really glad I was able to see them in person.
Up next: The Kirtland YSA Conference
Stay tuned!


No comments: