Monday, July 30, 2012

YW, the Sequel

Well it has now been three Sundays since the Corry Branch was closed. My heart hurt for a few days after the closing but I knew it was for the best. We have now attended the Meadville ward three times and I am glad to report that things are going well. They are very happy to have my family and the others that came from Corry. They have been struggling as well. But these days the chapel is pretty full and RS is full too, it's great. It's really a miracle.

We are working on getting to know people and remember their names and they're working on that with us too. Everyone is very nice though there really aren't many women for me to be actual friends with. What else is new. We went to a ward dinner this weekend and I felt a little lonesome. I do have to say that we sure lucked out with this unit that we have been assigned to- the potluck was one of the best I'd ever been to! They had big grilled steaks for everyone and there were other wonderful sides. Yum!

That night I got interviewed by the bishop and asked if I would be the first counselor in their YW program and I gladly accepted. I love being in YW! I was bummed to be released from my duty in Corry. It was pretty funny being interviewed by a bishop wearing a Hawaiian shirt, I had to laugh. Today I was sustained and set apart and it was great to be in YW. They also put in a senior missionary as the second counselor, she's very nice and so I'm excited to work with both her and the president. I think we will work well together.

Bishop and I talked about how the branch had closed and I told him it was sad but a relief in a sense. The fact that we could go to a potluck and not have to do everything was huge.

It's nice being a part of YW without having to do everything- I made some comments during the lesson instead of having to do the entire lesson and I'll admit it's a weight taken off my shoulders to have someone else in charge. The thing is that Meadville has no active girls, except for the 2 that came from Corry. We had to import some to Meadville! So that will be our big challenge, trying to get some girls to come.

So I'm the first from the Corry group to get a calling in Meadville. I had the opportunity to attend a YSA conference in Gettysburg (it looked really fun) or to attend a huge Youth Conference (Sis Dalton was in attendance!) in Pittsburgh this weekend and I turned them both down- I didn't know why, but it just didn't feel right to attend either. And then I'd think "What is wrong with attending a church function?", as I love attending things like that. I didn't know why until this weekend. If I had attended either, I wouldn't have been at that picnic to be interviewed and my being in YW would have been delayed. And I feel that it is timely that I be there.

In other Elizabeth news, I received word that I did not get a teaching position that I had interviewed on the phone for and thought that I would probably get. That was hard, because I'm trying so hard to get a job and be independent and that was a big blow. I wanted that job and I had researched it out and it felt right. But you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on. And keep filling out those job applications.

The Lord works in mysterious ways, that I know.



Stay tuned for Birthday fun, art museum and finally, Girls Camp!

No comments: