Monday, July 9, 2012

Changes


Today we found out that our branch that we have attended for the past five years is to be no more. As of this afternoon, the Corry Branch is no longer in existence. So as you might guess, today was not an easy day. 

We received a phone call earlier in the week saying that today's scheduled branch council meeting was canceled and also that our meetings were to be in reverse order- I'd teach YW during first hour and then we'd have the Sacrament during third hour. All of which made my family rather suspicious that something would happen. I figured we'd either be getting a real branch president (we've been without one for a few months, with a member of the stake presidency filling in) or the branch would be closed. I guess I got my answer today.

After the Sacrament, President Miller made the announcement. I'm sure it was not an easy decision or an easy statement to have to say- he used to attend the branch and loved it. He said that like seven years ago, a visiting general authority had said that our stake couldn't support so many (9 at the time) units. I guess I should be thankful that we lasted this long, and weren't disbanded years ago. Another branch was disbanded right before we moved out here, so we always knew it was a possibility. Today, the only other branch besides us was disbanded as well.

After the announcement, we were asked to raise our right hands to sustain the decision, and I tell you that that was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But I did it. After that, he answered questions and we sang "Because I Have Been Given Much" (with me leading the music) and after the meeting was over, we hugged and cried and then cleaned out personal items from the building. Tomorrow the building will be re-keyed, so it was urgent to get our things. I had added quite a lot of things to the YW room over the years, and what with Mom and my sister also being RS and Primary presidents, there was a lot of stuff to take home. It would have been easy to be dishonest and take things that didn't really belong to me, but I resisted. It was sad having to clean out the YW room. 

Our branch members have been divided between four wards. Everyone will have to drive quite aways to get to their new ward. We will now have to drive an hour to get to our new ward. Some of my friends, upon hearing the news, were excited that I'd now be attending a ward, but the truth is that our new place is also struggling very much, despite being a "ward." They have low attendance (not much larger than our branch), problems having enough Priesthood members and no active YW. I am sure they are excited for the handful of us now going to this ward.

The aftermath has been interesting, seeing who was surprised, and who wasn't. I've been worrying about this for like the last year and a half, so today was disappointing but not unexpected, though I didn't think it would happen this soon. I figured it would happen when the several elderly people in our branch passed away. Some people didn't understand why, others who weren't there today asked me when exactly it was going to happen, as if it was scheduled on the calendar. Some were very shocked, even though they attend fairly regularly.

Today's experiences has made me think of Christ's Second Coming- we know he is coming and we know of the signs, but we don't know when it will happen. And we will all see the same signs and some will recognize the signs and some won't. Those of us who study and pay attention will be observant to the signs and it will not be a surprise. 

Life brings trials and this is no different. Being in a small branch had its challenges. Now we have different challenges. Will we still be obedient and faithful? Will we resist anger and judgement and disappointment? Will we choose to embrace our new path and be happy?

I'm reminded of an experience on my mission, many moons ago. Towards the end of my mission, we were losing sister missionaries and not getting replacements. Other sister areas had been handed over to elders as we got fewer and fewer in number. My companion and I were asked to add another companion, hers had gone home. For about two weeks, the three of us covered both her area and ours. And then we were told to leave our area and serve full time in the new area. We respectfully begged to continue to have both areas, but it was not to be. It was very hard to obey and to be cheerful about it, but we did as asked. Our area went to the elders and we stayed full time in the new area. It was a challenge, but I was glad to have met it. It was a lesson in having faith in God and in our leaders. 

It's hard not to feel bad. Did I give it my all? I especially feel bad for the elderly people in our branch, they were the pioneers of the area. They used to attend church in Erie and here and there in rented spaces, and then they finally got a building in Corry and now to see this happen. 

Well, Corry Branch, thank you for five good years. Thank you for showing us love and kindness. Thank you for good friends. Thank you for wonderful experiences. Thank you for growth. Thank you for 4 sweet years in YW. When Dad was scouting out places to live, he wanted to attend the branch. At first I resisted, but it turned out to be a good growth opportunity for me as well as my family. 

When the YW room was done being cleaned out, I shut the door and said a little prayer of thanks.

My YW room, several people told me it was their favorite room in the building. 



No more branch dinners in the chapel?


Our sweet little building, we'll miss you. 

We'll see what life has in store for us in our new unit. I'm sad to be released from YW and intrigued to see what new calling I receive. I'm glad I was able to bear my testimony a week ago on Fast Sunday- I didn't know that would be my last opportunity here.


Into each life a little rain must fall. Life goes on, I guess... 

1 comment:

oldangelgirl said...

Wow, hon, that's crazy. And that move on the mish was so hard. So, so hard to leave Nan and John. It was truly heartbreaking, but a great opportunity to meet and love new people where we went. Even though I was only there for a month I will always remember how much I came to love a few individuals there. I'll keep a prayer in my heart for you, but at the same time I know you'll be fine and that this will be as good for you as East Hampton was. Love you!