Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Semester of Me

So I've started the Spring semester. Working on Week 3 as a matter of fact. I am taking Jr Field, Geography of Asia (it's interesting), Economic Geography (BOO!) and a Special Ed class that is good. I had been signed up to take Intermediate Metals but dropped out for a geography class (that is for a stupid requirement). At first I was bummed (and it's weird not being in a studio class), but then I learned that we'd be doing mostly hammering techniques-and the main reason I wanted in this class was to get back into casting! When I saw the workload that Jr Field requires, I was really glad not to have a studio class.

Junior Field entails me going to two Jr Highs in Erie during the week to teach art as part of an after school program. I have two other students who teach with me. It's nice to share the workload but communicating is a challenge. I find myself having to be the one who worries if everyone did their jobs. Last week was a total guinea pig week as we got to know the students and what they can do. The students in last semester's class had five weeks to prepare before they got to actually teach...meanwhile we got one week and we didn't even find out our partners until the end of that week so we basically had the weekend to prepare before teaching kids. Yikes!

Jr Field is going well so far but it's a big challenge. I'm so thankful for all my past teaching experience!

It's actually kinda nice to not have a studio class this semester- they take up so much time! I never would have thought I'd be glad not to have one. I had been looking for a studio class to take while I can- this is the last semester of regular classes before I do student teaching!

I actually have some time to breathe. Sometimes I get to bed when I'm supposed to. And it's nice to not have to be forced in making stuff I don't want to make!

A complaint of mine about studio classes is that you learn skills...but you don't necessarily get to make stuff that you'd want to make. Or know what your style is. I have no idea what my painting style would be if I didn't have an assignment. I want to find that out.

So I decided that this semester I did have a studio class- my own studio, that is.

This will be the semester where I make what I want to make.

And maybe finish some UFOs.

Good grief I have enough of those!


This semester is becoming very busy with YSA and YW activities on top of school, phew! Lots of schedules to keep track of! Thank heavens for my planner in my purse.

So stay tuned for things from Studio Liz!

2 comments:

oldangelgirl said...

Hurray for Studio Liz! Can't wait to see... :) I still would like you to make a ring for me, but I have absolutely no idea what I'd want it to be, or have, or whatever... I'll keep thinking! Oh! I also have some dish cloths that I knitted for you (they're aqua!) and I need to send them. Would you email me your address? Do you have my email address? Let me know. :)

Elizabeth said...

Well I don't have access to the metals equipment since I'm not in class, but I do hope to get equipment of my own and then hopefully I can make you a ring someday. Thanks in advance for my goodies ;)