Friday, December 12, 2008

Jen's page

My cousin Jennifer had Baby Cashew, aka Raegan in October and since I know she loves to scrapbook but has no time cause of the baby, I made a baby shower layout using the pics my aunt sent us:


My cousin is doing a jungle theme in Raegan's room, so hence the critters:
I only glued the large pic on three sides, creating a pocket for a tabbed card that holds all the gift info on it. Even if this is in a page protector, you can still grab it out from the top (I hate it when people make interactive page elements that you can't access through a page protector!).
What do we learn from this? Save your scraps! This layout was dirt cheap because I didn't buy anything for it- all the animal pieces are cut from cardstock scraps. I designed the animals myself, but you could find animal or other shapes online to trace or even trace cookie cutters. I pre-poked holes in the cardstock before stitching with embroidery floss (which is pretty stinkin' cheap) so that sewing was easier. When sewing on cardstock, you have to be careful that you don't pull too hard or you'll rip through your paper. You don't even have to have knots on the back- I secured the ends of the thread with a little adhesive. I used ric-rac for the alligator's teeth- I love glue dots for attaching things like that on pages. I used my smaller scalloped scissors on the big pic and my huge scalloped scissors on the smaller pic.
Another trick on this page was the collage of all the shower pics- I scanned the pics, then created the collage in Photoshop Elements (I made sure it was 8x10) and then got it printed as an 8x10 enlargement at Walmart. Much cheaper than getting a bunch of little wallets printed (which is what I had to do before I had Photoshop at my house!). With most pictures, you don't need to see them big, you just need them to get a sense of what took place.
I haven't made a page for awhile, it felt good to do so. I liked it alot, it was hard to mail away!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

I really love the stitching you did there. It's so neat! Such a thoughtful gift.

oldangelgirl said...

Yet another example of how creative and talented you are. I can't even fathom how you come up with these ideas. :)

Marleen said...

You did such a great job! Lucky cousin. I'm sure she will really appreciate such a wonderful, thoughtful gift.

Lori said...

Nice job! What beautiful pages. Sounds like you're doing wel. Tell your family hello for me. since you guys are so very far away. Have a Merry Christmas!