Monday, March 15, 2010

Generation Me

Recently I read two books by Jean Twenge, Generation Me and The Narcissism Epidemic, which deal with how younger generations (including mine) are more self centered- and more miserable- than ever.

I thought they were pretty good books, they hit the nail on the head. There's a lot of stuff that leads us to be self centered that didn't exist before (FB, anyone?)

Cover images from Amazon:


Consider:

  • iPods
  • Facebook, Twitter, My Space, etc
  • Paris Hilton
  • Reality TV
  • Students expecting grades they didn't earn
  • Parents that don't say No
  • Bridezillas
  • Lack of commitment (people move on to find someone that magically puts up with their crap)

And so on....

Kids have been told "You are Special" their whole lives...and now we're dealing with the aftermath. Is is wrong to like yourself? No, one should like themselves...but not put themselves selfishly first. Narcissists are those who are too confident in themselves (and believe they have no faults), we all know at least one. They can be great friends...until you don't want to do what they want. The myth is that narcissists don't really have self confidence, but that's usually not true. Most love themselves too much. Narcissists may be successful in the short term, but they usually aren't in the long term- cause you have to deal with people!

There's a lot more in the books, but I agreed with most of it and reccommend the books to others. After reading these books, I am ever more grateful to have grown up in the church, where service is emphasised. I'm also thankful for parents who said No. A lot. I know I'm better off than a lot of the college students I'm around every day. Right now I'm dealing with parents who have no rules for their children...what do you do when the DAD put a yw's lip ring in????

The moral of the story:

Thinking of others really is the way to happiness!

No comments: