Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Pins

So I saw this cute shirt at Wal-Mart and the upcoming conference at Kirtland was a good excuse to splurge. However, I didn’t like the band at the bottom of the shirt- who on earth thinks those are flattering? I didn’t want to look preggo, so I took some scissors and snipped it off…the beauty of knit T-shirt material is that it doesn’t unravel. I could have hemmed it, but I was lazy and it looked fine.
Ugh. I'm not preggo, really!
 That's better.


So what to do with the band? It donned on me that I could make rosette pins out of the extra fabric. It was pretty easy and fast to do. I bought some inexpensive lengths of various black laces and some black tulle to mix in.
I cut strips of the pink in various widths and then did a running stitch along one long edge. You then gather it tightly and knot it to create a rosette donut of sorts. I did the same with the lace and then played around with the layers until I liked what I saw.

I keep a variety of sizes of buttons that you cover around for such an occasion like this. I covered them with the pink material and then a lover of lace or tulle over that.

I also found some hot pink felt that was almost the exact shade of pink for the back. I hot glued all the layers together, starting with the largest “donut” and a circle of felt. I then glued the other layers on top and the button on top of it all. I then hotglued (I love the verbs I create) a pinback to the felt on the backside of the flower, thus creating a supercute pin with some 80’s influence.

For the dance, I took a strip of black tulle and used it for a belt on my flowy shirt. I wish the sleeves had been cut different so that I didn’t have to wear the black shirt underneath. It was a lot of contrast! Maybe someday when I have some time I can add some sleeves underneath the flounces so that it covers my arms better. I actually made three pins but using two looked better on my shirt- I guess I was a bit of an overachiever! I really like adapting clothes to my preferences. It was fun making these pins and I imagine more will be on the way!


2 comments:

ReneFoster said...

Wow. You are good Liz! Hope all is going well!

oldangelgirl said...

You are so creative and talented!